Off post Housing information for USAG Yongsan Seoul

Setting the advance payments
Trash and garbage collect system
Electric bill estimate
Off post Housing information for USAG Yongsan Seoul
Service members are expected to aggressively seek Economy quarters through one of registered licensed brokers’ office. Broker will be your first line property manager; witness to contact your contract signing, and also your point of contact for any maintenance, utility or financial problem resolution. The Housing Services Office will provide you with a listing of registered, licensed realtors that are pre-screened to conduct business with USFK Personnel. The Housing Services Office can provide you with detailed information on processing such a Lease. Expect to receive TLA. Unaccompanied, non-command sponsored, O6 and below are authorized to reside in the Furnished Apartment. Sponsored, O6 and below are authorized to reside in off post housing, if on-post quarters are not available.

The apartment will be inspected prior to approval. The number and quality of housing has greatly improved, but often still does not meet the expectations of US Service members.

Traffic to and from the installation is a daily challenge. This office advises that all service members pay their rent in the local currency. The landlord or Realtor will request 2 months rent in advance, one for security deposit and the other the first month’s rent. There is a standard “Military Clause” in the lease that states when government housing becomes available you may request to terminate the lease, but you may encounter some difficulty in getting the landlord to honor the clause. Service member should act promptly when knowing he will be leaving off post housing by giving the landlord 30 days notice. The Verification of Clearance form can be obtained at the housing office.

Please understand a 30 day notice does not mean an automatic termination of the contract. It must be accepted by the landlord to be able to terminate properly. Most landlords are willing to work with you but you may encounter some difficulty. It is your responsibility to properly terminate your lease.
Setting the advance payments :
The advance for the first month’ rent will be prorated and collected from the soldier’s pay over a period that will allow full Collection prior to one month before your DEROS. The security deposit is suspended until the end of the lease. The soldier must receive the security deposit back from the landlord and turn the money into the finance office to clear the debt created by the advance. To prevent the soldier from losing money as a result of currency exchange-rate fluctuation, the soldier turn in the won amount paid.

other allowances authorized with OHA:
-Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA)-Miscellaneous (one-time)
MIHA is a one-time allowance paid lump sum in your Leave and Earning Statement (LES). The MIHA miscellaneous is a dollar Figure based on the area stationed and is for expenses incurred while moving into off-post housing.
-Dislocation allowance (one-time)
Dislocation Allowance (DLA) is authorized for a PCS move. If the soldier is command sponsored, he/she is entitled to the “with dependent” rate. If the soldier is single or unaccompanied, he/she is entitled to the “without dependents’ rate. There are exceptions and the soldier is only entitled to one DLA per PCS move.

★ TLA/Temporary Lodging Allowance- Service Members(SM) should have found adequate housing and should be ready to move in. The furnishings branch will deliver furniture and appliances the same day the SM moves into his apartment. TLA ends when adequate housing is available.

★ Steps to Follow in Seeking Off-post Housing
1. Receive ‘Off-Post Housing and OHA paperwork Briefing’, and schedule appointments to seek Quarters.
2. Go out and seek Quarters and obtain an unsigned lease agreement. Do not sign your agreement until it has been review by Housing office
3. Housing Counselor will review lease agreement with SM. If lease is approved SM must complete DD Form 2367 (OHA Report),, and DA Form 4187, Off-Post Housing Check list and Memorandum of Understanding Economy Housing Acceptance. E-6 and below SMs must have both Forms signed by their commander.
4.SM will submit approved lease and OHA paper work to the Housing Office. Housing Office will forward OHA paperwork to Finance.
1. Lease term must be a full year beginning with the service member’s moving in date.
2. SM must submit a written Termination Notice to their landlords at least 30days before their moving out date in order to receive their security deposit back.
3. Rental payment due date will be from the 1st through the 5th of each month.
Trash and garbage collect system
Do not put food trash in normal trash bag except the following: fish , crab, shellfish and animal bone, seed, herb remedy Trash (compost) and fruit peelings. Do not put vinyl bag or non food trash in food trash collection can. Trash collectors do not collect mixed food and normal trash!!

1. All trash and garbage must be segregated into recyclable and disposable trash.

2. Disposable trash must be placed in designated trash collection points or bins.

3. Personnel in violation of the new policy will be fined as follows:
a. \ 50,000 for trash bags that are tied improperly.
b. \ 100,000 for trash not placed in authorized bags
c. \ 1,000,000 for trash placed anywhere other than designated collection points or bins.

4. Price of trash bags are as follows:
- For normal trash bags
- For wet (food scrap) trash bags
10 liter bag (20 bags) - \
20 liter bag (20 bags) - \11,000
50 liter bag (10 bags) - \12,500
100 liter bag (10 bag) - \25,000

Trash bags may be purchased from local markets, cigarette stores, etc.
5. Please help reduce trash and improve the natural environment. Follow the law.
Electric bill estimate

  The Utilities or electric cost for KEPCO (Korea Electric Power Company), off post housing works like this:
The Utilities or electric cost for KEPCO (Korea Electric Power Company), off post housing works like this:

Up to 100kWh residents pay about 55won per KW
100KW to 200KW residents pay 113.80won per KW
201 KW to 300 KW residents pay 168.30won per KW
301 KW to 400 KW residents pay 248.60won per KW
401 KW to 500 KW residents pay 366.40won per KW
501 KW to above residents pay 643.90won per KW

Most 45 pyong off post housing uses 300 to 400 KW per month without A/C. With it can add up to 500 KW or above very easy.
On top of those electric fees, KEPCO charge usage fee which is flat rate and it differs by what type of building and Where you live. Example the usage fee for single residents or small complex is much higher than apartment complex.
Larger the complex area, less individual have to pay for usage.
The exact amount and how they are broken down is Actually shown in back of their electric bill.
They can bring in their bill and have someone translate it.